Online Substitute Teacher Training Option for LAUSD
LAUSD has instituted a new substitute teacher training program designed by the Utah State University Substitute Teaching Institute. This training program is available for new and current reserve teachers to improve their teaching skills. This is an option to attending the live, onsite training at LAUSD.
The cost of this online training course is $39.95 and is payable by credit or debit card.
The course includes 8-10 hours of self-paced, interactive SubSkills online training, videos, numerous PDF versions of Fill-In Activities you can use in the classroom, online SubAssessments, and a SubDiploma.
The SubSkills training course covers:
- The Professional Substitute Teacher
- Classroom Management
- Teaching Strategies
- Special Education
- Fill-in Activities
To Register and Purchase the SubSkills Online Training Package
- Go to STEDI.org, select Purchase Training, then choose the SubSkills Online Training Course (for $39.95), and Add to Cart. (LAUSD does NOT need a Coupon Code.)
- Review your order and click on Proceed to Checkout. Please complete the requested information and remember to choose California as your “State” and Los Angeles Unified School District as your “District”.
- Be sure to read the Terms and Conditions and check the box to confirm you have done so.
- Once you finalize your transaction and have received an Order Number, you will be able to immediately begin your training by clicking on the dark blue button that says, “Go to Course”.
- You may come and go as you please in the training. When you want to come back to the training, return to the website STEDI.org and click on Course Login, which is the first picture of the four across the center of the page. Log in and click on “Go to Course” to return to your training.
SubSkills and SubAssessment
The online SubAssessment is designed to evaluate how well the SubSkills training has been mastered.
- The SubAssessment is the only timed portions of the course.
- After completing each test attempt, next to your score you will see a Review, showing you the questions you answered incorrectly with the answers you selected that were NOT the BEST answer.
- Use the Review as a study guide before taking the assessment again. You may go back into the Lessons to see what the best answer should have been for the questions you answered incorrectly.
- You may use up to four (4) attempts to reach your best score. The computer always keeps your highest score. LAUSD requires a passing composite score of at least 85%.
Once you have completed the SubSkills training and you’ll take the SubAssessment. Aim for a passing score of at least 85%, a SubDiploma with your name on it will be available for you to see and print. It is located at the end of the Welcome Section in the SubSkills Online Training Course Outline.
The SubDiploma should be provided to the Reserve Desk located in the Human Resource department.
When you register for your account at STEDI.org, you’ll receive free access to the following:
- Biweekly tips on classroom management, professionalism, and fill in activities through the SubSuggestions Newsletter
- The STEDI.org private Facebook group for Substitute Teachers, creating dialogue with other substitute teachers nation-wide.
If you need assistance or have any questions, please view the Get Help page: https://stedi.org/subs/help/. You may also contact STEDI at 1-800-922-4693, “chat” with us online, or email email@example.com. Office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4 p.m. mountain time or 9:00 a.m. to 5 p.m. central time.